The Lunar Rock color, inspired by moon rocks, is a unique, flat gray color with a touch of green. It is available on 2021- 2023 Tacomas.
- Lunar Rock was first introduced on the 2021 Tacoma.
- It was phased out for the release of the 2024 Tacoma.
- It is a flat gray color with a hint of light, seafoam green.
- Compatible trims include the TRD Sport, TRD Off-Road, Trail Special Edition, and TRD Pro.
When it comes to unique paint colors that suddenly provoke everyone’s opinion, there’s nothing quite as controversial as Lunar Rock for Toyota Tacoma trucks.
First introduced in 2021, Taco fans quickly took sides in the debate over whether they love the color or hate it. As a color inspired by moon rocks, it deserves a closer look.
In this guide, we evaluate the basics of the Toyota Tacoma Lunar Rock color and its availability. We also discuss the pros and cons you should consider before outfitting your truck with this color.
The Lunar Rock color isn’t gray or silver, but it does resemble both of those colors. The base is silver/gray, with a hint of light seafoam green thrown into the mix.
Depending on how the light hits your truck, you may see more gray or green on that particular day. It’s almost like having a mood ring as a truck, changing with exterior factors.
Lunar Rock does give the Tacoma an aggressive and rugged appearance. We think it’s sophisticated yet fun, all wrapped into one package.
Browse through these pictures of the Tacoma outfitted in Lunar Rock. You’ll see how the right accessories can make this exterior paint color even more magnificent.
Lunar rock was first introduced on the Tacoma in 2021 and is available up to the 2023 model year. With the introduction of new colors for the 4th-generation 2024 Tacoma, Lunar Rock has been phased out.
For compatible model years, Lunar Rock was available on the following trims:
- TRD Sport
- TRD Off-Road
- Trail Special Edition
- TRD Pro
Pros and Cons
Considering the benefits and disadvantages of choosing a Lunar Rock Tacoma before signing on the dotted line is essential. Here are some aspects we think you should consider:
- Eye-catching color
- Unique – aren’t many on the road
- Changes with lighting
- Reflects adventure
- Durable and long-lasting
- It looks fantastic with off-road accessories and upgrades
- Can increase resale value – depending on the local market
- Limited availability – challenging to find new or used
- Not preferred by everyone
- Can decrease resale value – depending on the local market
While the Lunar Rock color is unique, finding a Tacoma painted in it can be challenging. It’s also not available with every trim level.
Trade-in and resale values may suffer if the local area doesn’t have buyers looking for the same color. On top of that, Toyota may drop the color from the lineup if demand doesn’t remain high enough.
If Lunar Rock isn’t available or it’s not what you are looking for, there are other options. Here are a few that we are fond of.
- Celestial Silver Metallic: This may look like a standard silver hue at first glance, but it’s lighter than most expect. The pearlescent finish helps it to shine and stand out.
- Magnetic Gray Metallic: As a darker gray color, this color has more depth. The metallic finish gives the truck an attractive shine, especially when the light hits it.
- Army Green: While not available with the 2023 models, you can find a used Tacoma in this unique green color. It adds more green than the Lunar Rock, with less of a silver shade.
If you own a Tacoma or are buying a used model that didn’t come in Lunar Rock, there’s still an option we found to consider. Some graphics companies offer a lunar rock wrap so you can cover the Tacoma in that shade. The best part about the wrap option is that you can remove it anytime.
Where to Buy
If you want a Lunar Rock Tacoma, visit your local Toyota dealership. Keep in mind that as new 2023 models are replaced with 2024, Lunar Rock will no longer be available on new Tacomas.
If no new 2023 Tacomas are available, a Certified Used Tacoma can be purchased through a dealership. Browse dealership websites in your area to see which one has the Tacoma you want.
To buy a used Lunar Rock Tacoma that isn’t “Certified Used”, we recommend starting with Tacoma forums, such as Tacoma World, Tacoma Forum or Toyota Nation Forum. You can also check out online car marketplaces, such as Cars.com, AutoTrader or Carvana.
Look online for some local options as well with Facebook Marketplace.
Frequently Asked Questions
Lunar Rock is a wonderful green-gray color that impresses many people. It’s quite a desirable color.
This color isn’t available on many trims, though. You’ll be limited to the TRD Sport, TRD Off-Road, and Trail Special Edition.
With the Lunar Rock option being one of the less popular colors, you may only have a little time to pick out your Tacoma. Check out the local dealership to see what’s available, or talk to them about ordering a Tacoma in this color.
We are convinced that you will fall into one of the two camps once you see a Tacoma in Lunar Rock. You’ll either love it enough to search one out for yourself or wonder why Toyota ever offered such a color.
What are your thoughts about Lunar Rock? Let us know in the comments below!